Sunday, November 22, 2009

Surprises and Smiles



"You know what? Just cancel the damn dinner reservation, Jeffrey.  I don't want to have a date night if we're both in bad moods.  It's pointless."
"NO! We're not canceling.  Let's just take Ellie to Grandma Lene's -- at least we'd be able to sleep in tomorrow."
"UGH!!! FINE!"
We stormed into the car, and headed over to my mother's house.  In keeping with the evening, traffic on I-5 was completely stopped.  I was getting more and more snarky, and Jeffrey was ready to drive on the shoulder of the freeway.
"You need to call and let them know we're going to be late, Jeffrey. Reservations don't just get held indefinitely."
"We'll be FINE!"

My fingers flew across the keypad as I sent a text message to mom: "Literally stopped on the freeway. Jeffrey is in a mood.  Can I stay the night at your house too???"

Jeffrey grabbed his phone, and sent a text to someone too.  We both sat annoyed, silent, staring at the brake lights in front of us.  We finally managed to make it to the exit, and Jeffrey sped through the streets.  I closed my eyes and boiled inside.

Pulling into mom and Ed's driveway, I grabbed EG's overnight bag, and headed inside.  Mom met us on the walkway.  She took EG from me, and as she walked in front of me I thought, "Why is she all dressed up?!?!"  Opening the fridge to put away the milk, I became even more frustrated since mom had used up all the space with a freaking cake.
"OH MY GOD! Can one thing just go right tonight?" I stormed.  Mom said, "I'll take care of it. Just leave it on the counter." I headed to use the restroom while Jeffrey got EG settled in.
"Ok, babe, let's GO!" I snapped.
Mom looked at me and said, "Hey, Miss, before you go, let me show you one thing." I wanted to roll my eyes.  Can't it wait?!?!

She opened the door to the living room, and there stood all these people, "SURPRISE!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!" they all hollered.   My jaw dropped. I turned to Jeffrey and he was smiling with that cute little half smile he gives. I looked around the room, full of all my friends.  There were childhood friends, new friends, seasoned friends and family.
"I'm sooooo sorry, Jeffrey! I was such a bitch!!!!"


before I realized what was going on...


I couldn't believe how many people were there!



Thank you, Jeffrey!
I love this photo

Everyone (especially mom) put so much effort into planning a great evening.  There were favors (recipes that she had printed from my blog), delicious things to nibble on (she made a tuna appetizer that Colin was sure wasn't tuna - because he HATES tuna), a beautiful cake, and lots of great friends!  She had everyone write a little something about an adventure they had had with me which gave me some wonderful mementos from the night - and some funny stories!  It was wonderful to be able to enjoy the night, and not have to lift a finger!  I think they were right about one thing: if it hadn't been a surprise party, I would have insisted on being involved with the preparations!  We had a great time and laughed so much our bellies hurt.  Thank you, everyone for making this birthday the most memorable one of my adult life!


The cake! 


The party favors (thanks, Sharon!)






Cute or scary?


How cool is that!!! Thanks, Colin!


A few lines into "Happy Birthday"....


Mom accidentally blew out my candle!!!!


So we lit it again, and reset the song to the beginning...
mom didn't sing the second time around! 
Hey, it's better than what she did at my College Graduation party when she lit the entire cake table on fire! Now THAT is a funny story!


LOOK AT THE SMILES ALL AROUND!!!!

my brother Jake


my beautiful friend Mona


laughing...


My brother Colin


my childhood friend Beth


My OTHER childhood friend Sharon


laughing harder...


The most loyal, giving, compassionate friend and almost-sister I could imagine



Bulbs, bulbs, and more bulbs! 


Nothing like a sack of bulbs! Hee hee






My garden is going to be absolutely overflowing with flowers in the spring.  
I'm so, so, so, so excited!  Such WONDERFUL gifts! 
I love that everyone got me something for the garden!



What a wonderful gift - just have to water and watch grow!!! Thank you, Steph! 


Jake was done :-)




The night was spectacular - it was just what I needed.  I night of laughter, stories, and new memories.  Thanks to everyone who came, and put so much effort into the planning and celebrating!  Love you all!

Now...off to go plant all these bulbs!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sherry Garcia PedrozaNovember 23, 2009 at 1:34 PM

    I just love your blogs Melissa, and I'm glad you had a wonderful BD with friends and family...

    ReplyDelete