Thursday, October 1, 2009

Investment Day


How could I not have a good day when this is what I see first thing every morning? Today, the lake really struck me as insanely beautiful!

I like days like today. The farm tasks seem endless, but each one is an investment toward next season, bringing its own sense of reward in the hope and excitement for what lies ahead. It's so amazing to think that the energy that I put into the ground today will bring so much happiness months down the road.

Today we pulled the broccoli up, planted bulbs, and tilled the soil to plant the overwintering vegetables. The guys were out working the wheat fields, as well. It's so darn cool to see the big ol' tractor working the soil.

What an amazing view - the hedgerow is our property line, and that's one of our closest neighbors up on the hill!

This year was the first time I had ever had a full-fledged vegetable garden, and I've had no clue what, when, or how to do anything! Yet, still, the harvest has been continual, and I've learned so much as I've gone along. More than once over the last year Victor has looked at me with a look that says, "Yeah, ok, Lady, I'll DO it, but I don't think you know what the hell you're talking about" - and I'm sure he will continue to give that look...BUT there's also things HE has learned...like I was right about carrots! FYI, if ever you plant carrots, make sure you plant them in soil that is well tilled and soft enough for them to push through, otherwise you end up with stunted carrots that are impossible to get up and taste like dirt (the horses were pleased with the miserable failure though!).

Victor does all the hard work of prepping the soil for me...I'm a lucky girl!

I follow behind and plant bulbs - come the spring, this strip of dirt will be blooming with daffodils and muscari!

I had a great ride today on Avdou. My friend Gabby came by to give me some help and pointers with the horses. She hasn't been by in ages, and was very complimentary about the improvement Avdou is making. It was so nice to have a set of eyes telling me my leg was swinging forward and to remind me that while I have a beautiful horse, the time to admire him is NOT while riding! Gabby is a bit of a "hard ass" and is pretty brutally honest when it comes to things she KNOWS, and even so, she was incredibly encouraging...she pointed out that Avdou's canter is getting back to being balanced, and his ground manners are impeccable. It makes me feel like maybe I DO know what I'm doing and that the "time investment" that I've been making is paying off. We still have a long way to go with the horses - they are both out of shape and have loads to learn. Frank's got a big belly with no muscle so his ribs poke out like crazy! And while Avdou is getting better by the day, he still has a long way to go to be back up to being "athletic." Still, I feel lucky to have them and am confident in my abilities.


Avdou and Frank learning to be patient...

My big (17hh), grey Killer Horse - Avdou

My clown, with his signature move - Frank


Grandma Lene came by to see Ellie Graye (and maybe me) - it was so nice to see her even if it was only for a short while. Having her living so close to us has been so comforting and fun and amazing. It has only been a few months since she moved here from Buffalo, NY - but I already have a difficult time remembering what it was like to have her so far away!

Walking to go see Grandma Lene in the rose garden

I'm COMING!

Boy, this is a schlep!

Wait - what's this???


Believe it or not, I didn't cook a single thing today...Jeffrey arrived home from San Jose, so we had our usual take out from Thai Delight - the BEST Thai food I've ever had, with the sweetest owners!

Now it's time to rest. My body aches a bit, which makes me wish there were a bathtub in this damn house. Yeah, I know. No bath. It's insane!

RANDOM PHOTOS OF THE DAY


I'm currently obsessed with taking photos of pumpkins. Their orange is just so...so...ORANGE!

That is when they're not GREEN!

Ellie, commanding the room.

Little Miss Blue Eyes, on our way to the airport to go get daddy!

1 comment:

  1. Love your ramblin-on-the-ranch style. So is this a working ranch farm? You have hands to help.
    Glad you have your mom nearby.
    Hannah and Syd are visiting us today.
    Keep us posted on your adventures.
    a fellow blogger, Mary

    ReplyDelete