Friday, October 23, 2009

PULLED CHICKEN SANDWICHES

This recipe can be a bit time consuming, but the effort is well worth it.  I cook the chicken in the slow-cooker the night before I'm going to serve it; then in the morning, shred the chicken, make the sauce, and combine the two in a clean slow cooker for another 4 hours - I like my chicken saucy, so I usually double the sauce.  If you don't have time to use your slow cooker - the quick way is to rub chicken breasts with the seasoning, grill them, shred them, then add to the sauce.  This GREATLY changes the taste, but is still yummy.


CHICKEN:
2 tbs. dark brown sugar
1 tsp. paprika (I liked to use Penzey's Spanish Smoked Paprika)
1 tsp. chili powder
3/4 tsp. ground cumin (I prefer freshly ground...I use a coffee grinder that I've dedicated to spices)
1/2 tsp. ground chipotle chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 small whole chicken (or whatever chicken you have on hand!)
1 large onion, quartered

SAUCE:
2 tsp. oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tbs. dark brown sugar
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 cup ketchup
2 tbs. cider vinegar
1 tbs. molasses

1. Combine all but the chicken and onion in a small bowl.  Rub the spice mixture evenly over chicken (if I'm using a whole chicken with the skin, I place the rub UNDER the skin, but do what works for you!).

2. Place the onion quarters in the bottom of the slow cooker and carefully place the chicken on top.  Add 1 - 2 cups water, set slow cooker to LOW, and cook for 8 - 10 hours (I always start the chicken before I go to bed, and turn it off when I get up in the morning).



Here I've used bone-in chicken breasts with the skins removed


3. Remove chicken from crock pot (usually it will completely fall apart); cool; shred (this should be incredibly easy).  Set aside. Discard the contents of the slow cooker. Return chicken to slow cooker.

4.  For sauce, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion; cook for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.  Stir in brown sugar and next 5 ingredients (through pepper); cook 30 seconds.  Stir in ketchup, vinegar, and molasses; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.  Add to crock pot, and stir until chicken mixture is evenly coated.  Set slow cooker to LOW, and cook for 1 - 2 hours.

5. Serve with fresh sandwich rolls, or whatever you have handy!

1 comment:

  1. No wonder it's so fabulous! Had it at Amy's and at EG's b'day party. Now, reading this and seeing the pics, I'm HUNGRY!!!

    Charlene

    ReplyDelete